It’s true that to run you only need a pair of shoes to run..but you’re much better off with the right gear and nutrition to feel your best when training for an ultramarathon. These are just a few of our favorite items you can find on us during any given long run.
2. Clif Bar Mini mostly because they’re so dang cute but mainly because they’re the perfect serving size during a fuel break and super convenient. We like them so much that we tried buying them on Amazon and the selection seemed slim which made us believe they were near extinction. We then rushed to the nearest available location and bought their entire inventory. We’ve since found out that’s not the case but it’s helped confirmed how deep our love is.
3. Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Squeezeable Packs If you didn’t realize the big ultra theme it’s convenience. One pack allows each of us a good smear right on top of each Clif Bar to deliver just the right amount of healthy fats for long runs.
4. Fruit Cups The perfect source of carbs and sugar during a run. Something magical happens when a fruit cup sloshes around in your pack for 5-10 miles that I just can’t explain and can only promote. (Synonymous with The Oatmeal’s magical grape soda. If you haven’t read that yet, do yourself a favor and read here)
5. Accelerade PJ’s personal preference of rehydration which has added natural protein to give it a 4:1 carb to protein ratio which is great to reduce muscle soreness while hydrating.
6. GU Energy Gel (Salted Caramel) I crave sweets during a run so this is the perfect flavor to curb the craving with more sodium than some of their other flavors, 125mg, which I need because I’m such a heavy sweater. 100 calories from this per hour running = perfecto.
7.Accel Gel this is a favorite of PJ. Accel gel gives that same 4:1 carb:protein ratio as Accelerade. I think this has the best gel flavor around too.